Friday, March 8, 2013

Collaging

Hello Lovelies,

I know I'm two weeks behind on my blog but I've got something good for you today.

In the last two weeks I've discovered something grand, something wonderful... mixed media collage!! Or art journaling collage, I'm not certain because it doesn't have an official name. I happened to find Teesha Moore's Youtube channel and the rest is history! I've been interested in starting mixed media and a few months back I began purchasing supplies like gesso, matte gel medium, paints etc.. but I never went beyond making a few ATC's and a 6x6 canvas. However, with help from Teesha and other artists that I found in my research like  Sandra van der Geest I have been really excited to start! This is a different style of mixed media because it involves magazine cut outs to create a main imagine and uses words and doodles to make it your own. This is the perfect gateway into mixed media for me because ever since I was a teen I LOVED making collages and cutting things out of magazines to use in different ways. So this is right up my alley.

So I followed Teesha's instructions on how to make your own art journal and painted the pages and started working on my first page. Now looking back (I've made four pages so far) I realized that I don't like my first page all that much, it's a little too busy but I do like it because it is a first attempt and it's pretty cool. It also has one of my favorite lyrics so that's a plus!

Here are a few process pictures (excuse the poor quality, these were taken with my cellphone camera):


Initial choosing image stage. Lemon for a face with a crown? Nah.



choosing on the eyes, wanted something more whimsical so went with the second pair. Notice her body is made using an image of stacked bangle bracelets (love).



All glued down. Next step doodling.



Tada! The finished page! I kind of regret adding so much white on the wings but no worries I tried something different and that's all that matters.

I have other pages done, but I am going to save that for later.

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to here what you think and your comments!

Serena

5 comments:

  1. i love collage, i've been doing it since i was a kid too. that's the best part of my job, i make collage kits all day! really cool Serena and awesome for your first one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you julie! It's true!!! I forgot you make kits. I've been searching for some images maybe you can help me! I will fb msg you :)

      Delete
  2. That is so cool! I've always loved collages and used to do them 40 years ago when I was in high school! I can't wait to see your other collages!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo so much Sharon for checking out my blog and commenting it meas so much to me. I can't wait to share with you my other pages.

      Delete
  3. Nice page!! How do you glue the magazine image to the paper?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for commenting!